Friday, October 24, 2014

THIS IS ME!

So I wasn't one of those kids that knew from the get go what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wasn't a perfect straight "A" student in high school. I got into my fair share of trouble growing up. In fact, I dropped out of high school about halfway through my senior year and left home to live with a boyfriend. Not the best start into adulthood. But 11 years later and who knows how many ex-boyfriends, I found the right path.
I met and married my husband in 2001 and we now have 3 wonderful children together. I still was a high school dropout at this point and working dead-end waitress jobs, while my husband worked in construction. I tried 3 different times to be a stay-at-home mom with my children, but found that after about 6 months, I would go stir-crazy. Then in a twist of fate, my husband was injured on the job. Where L4, L5, and S1 should be, he has nothing now. He fell about 8 feet into a trench and sandwiched. A co-worker fell as well and landed on my husband. This would mark the end of his work career. At the same time, the economy went to hell in a hand-basket.
It was at this same time that I decided it was time for me to become a better role model for my children. So in the fall of 2008, I purchased a GED study guide. I studied for 2 weeks and then I went and took the test. Much to my surprise, I passed on my first try. Then I went and took the college placement test at Dixie State. I registered for classes and started to prepare for a new chapter in my life.
I went to meet with an adviser to set up my schedule and decide what I was going to major in. The first choice was choosing my major. I have always had an interest in the criminal justice system and so I chose criminal justice as my major. Then the adviser tried to tell me that it would take me 4 years to get my associates degree. I had always heard that an associates degree took 2 years and a bachelors degree took 4 years to obtain. I asked how this could possibly be, because I did not plan to spend the next 6 years in school. They said that it normally takes the first 2 years to complete generals, then 2 years to complete associates requirements and then another 2 years for bachelor requirements. I  did not accept this and I told the adviser to watch and see, I would have my associates within 2 years.
I started my classes in the Spring 2009. I would take 18 to 21 credits per semester. I worked hard to maintain high grades. I received many awards in the first 2 years. I got Top of the Class in many of my criminal Justice classes. I also received Student of the Semester and was President of the first Criminal Justice club on campus. In the Spring 2011, I graduated with my Associates degree in Criminal Justice. A really cool aspect of my graduation was that I was able to share it with my little sister, she is 6 years younger than me, and we got to walk together.
I then started to work on my bachelors degree. I worked hard and I graduated with my Bachelors degree in the Spring 2013. I also received my EMT certification in 2012. I attended POST, but did not complete the PT due to an injury. I worked a 2 different jobs in the Criminal Justice field, until September 2014. This is where my story really begins.
The story that I will tell in my next post will be my side of what has gone on. There won't be all the details, but what I can post I will.
THIS IS ME! THIS IS ME STARTING OVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment